Silver Islet Mine was founded in 1870 at the tip of the Sibley Peninsula, an area that now belongs to the city of Thunder Bay, Ontario. The silver deposit at Silver Islet was first discovered in 1868 by the Montreal Mining Company. In 1870, Alexander H. Sibley's Silver Islet Mining Company acquired the mine. The mine was built deep below the waterline, which proved challenging logistically; they used pumps and breakwaters against the rough waters of Lake Superior.
Originally, the Islet measured 50 square meters, although it grew 10 times its size with housing for miners. By 1884, a problem occurred with a coal shipment that fueled the pumps and breakwaters; it resulted in the mine flooding. In the 1910s and the 1970s, companies attempted to reopen Silver Islet Mine, yet they were unsuccessful. Today, the mining town is a small community that serves cottagers and tourists.
Sources
- Lakehead University Archive. Silver Islet Collection. https://archives.lakeheadu.ca/index.php/silver-islet-collection
- Wikipedia. Silver Islet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Islet
Bev Soloway is a faculty member at Lakehead University, in the Department of History. She specializes in Canadian history, with an interest in environmental history, the history of science and technology, and the interactions between gender and history.
Catholic health care provider based in Thunder Bay. The St. Joseph's Care Group operates a rehabilitative care hospital, two long-term care homes, seniors' supportive living, mental health supportive housing, live-in and day treatment for addictions, withdrawal management, and virtual care.
Suomi Koti of Thunder Bay was established in 1984, to provide housing for seniors, especially those from the local Finnish-Canadian community. The building was opened to tenants in 1988.