Showing 22 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

Mothersill Papers

Personnel records, public relations correspondence, departmental records, student records, Building and equipment records, budgets, collected by Dr. John Mothersill, former Dean of Science and professor of geology.

Dr. R.A. Ross Papers

Dr. R.A. Ross was a Professor of Chemistry and Dean of the Faculty of Science. These papers largely relate to proposals for new programs in the Faculty of Science: a PhD program in Materials Science, a B.Sc. in Energy and Fuel Science, and an Area-oriented Research Centre in Applied Sciences.

Fred Gilbert papers

Fred Gilbert was President of Lakehead University from 1998 to 2010. Significant developments during this time include the founding of the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, and the creation of the Orillia campus.

Records include some administrative documents, photographs, and information about public events.

Brian Stevenson papers

Dr. Brian Stevenson served as sixth President of Lakehead University, from August 2010 to December 2017.

Significant changes during this time include: the founding of the Faculty of Law, a significant increase in the number of international students, and renovations and new construction.

President’s Office

Various reports created by and submitted to the President's office of Lakehead University including: financial statements; annual reports; academic expansion reports; reports to city council; five year plans; etc.

The Finnish Building Company

Account books and minute books of the Finnish Building Company, an organization formed in 1909 to raise funds for the construction of the Finnish Labour Temple (Big Finn Hall) at 314 Bay Street.

Thunder Bay Hydro Whalen Building collection

This series contains two video cassettes of the Unveiling Ceremony of the paintings honouring James Whalen which were put in the lobby of the Whalen/Thunder Bay Hydro Building, the pamphlets from the ceremony, a list of participants in the ceremony, and a brief article on the Whalen/Thunder Bay Hydro building and the Unveiling Ceremony. This series consists of one file:

  • “The James Whalen Empire” Video Recording and Unveiling Ceremony Ephemera, 1990 (Box 1, File 13)

James and Laurel Conmee fonds

This series consists of photographs, newspaper clippings, and a speech, which all relate to the Conmee Family. This series consists of the following files:

  • Photographs, 1910, 1919 (Box 1, File 11)
  • Newspaper Clippings and Speech (“Incidents in the Life of James Conmee, 1848-1913), Laurels death date, 1936, 1968 (Box 1, File 12)

James Whalen fonds

This series consists of 2 photo albums; photographs; newspaper clippings and photocopies; agreements; stocks, bonds, certificates, special warranty deeds, indentures, etc; correspondence; and miscellaneous items. This series consists of the following files:

  • The Whalen Building photo album, 1913-1914 (Box 1, File 1)
  • General Realty Corporation photo album, 1911-1914 (Box 1, File 2)
  • Photographs, 1913 (Box 1, File 3)
  • Newspaper Clippings and Photocopies, 1913-1990 (Box 1, File 4)
  • Assets, 1912-1929 (Box 1, File 5)
  • Agreements, 1909-1921 (Box 1, File 6)
  • Stocks, Bonds, Certificates, Special Warranty Deeds, Indentures, etc, 1896-1924 (Box 1, File 7)
  • Stocks, Bonds, Certificates, Special Warranty Deeds, Indentures, etc, Dates Unknown (Box 1, File 8)
  • Correspondence, 1903-1929 (Box 1, File 9)
  • Miscellaneous Items, 1913, 1914, 1928, 1980 (Box 1, File 10)

Hoito Restaurant

The Hoito Cooperative Restaurant was established in 1918, to serve the needs of Finnish-Canadian workers in Port Arthur, and still operates from the Finnish Labour Temple, 314 Bay Street.

This collection is made up of minute books and account books covering the early years of the restaurant's operations.