Library building plans for three floors.
- An exhibit of photographs by Grace Goldin
- Associate Medical Services, Inc. and Hannah Institute for the History of Medicine
This fonds represents the records of a family long-established in Ontario, as collected and preserved by the genealogist Marshall Macdougall Dean.
As a genealogist, Marshall Macdougall Dean collected and wrote about the Dean family and others in his lineage, and was a founding member of the Canadian Society of Mayflower Descendants. He was born in Fort William, lost his siblings, father, and mother at a fairly young age, and spent much of his later life in and near Toronto.
His father, Marshall Blanchard Dean, trained as a physician at the University of Toronto before moving to Fort William. In addition to his medical practice, he was a close colleague of long-serving MP Dr. R.J. Manion.
Earlier Dean family members lived in Hamilton County and in and near Brighton, Ontario. Records of their lives, especially including financial and land documents, correspondence, and photographs, are also included in this fonds, having been collected and passed down within the family.
The first series of this fonds consists of genealogical research material, including publications and correspondence. The rest of the fonds is organized roughly by generation within the Dean family; however, files were not split, so many generations may be reflected within a single file.
Material related to various Dean family members: including primary source documents and documents gathered through later research.
Material created by and assembled by Penny Petrone during her Ph.D. work on the short fiction of Isabella Valancy Crawford (1846-1887), an Irish-Canadian poet and author. Petrone also produced two edited collections of Crawford's short stories, in 1975 and 1977.
This series contains copies of Crawford's works, including in manuscript, and as originally published in periodicals; also correspondence, research notes, and other writing about Crawford. Notably, Petrone met with and interviewed Crawford's niece, Isabella Valancy Perry, in the early 1970s.
The Girl’s Schoolbook: No. I. Designed for Little Girls as a Reading Book in Primary or Common Schools, by Mrs. Jane Taylor Albany: Published by J. Orville Taylor at the Common School Depository 1837
Records created by or relating to Samuel Corban Dean, father of Noble Benjamin Hall Dean. Many records relate to S.C. Dean's estate, which was complex.
Records of Dr. Noble Benjamin Hall Dean; also those of his two wives Mary Ann (Ferris) Dean and Theresa (Montgomery) Dean; also those of his sister Lizzie Dean.
Many of these records relate to land and finances: particularly settling of the estates of family members.
Dean, Noble Benjamin HallPhotographs "of historical interest" with subjects 1857-1938.
Port Arthur street scenes including streetcars.
Several photographs of a fishing trip, probably 1910s or 1920s, with camp scenes and nature scenes. A few people are identified by name: Bob Flaherty, Alderman Frank Duncan Roberts.
Ships: S.S. Algoma, “Glenlyon” December 18, 1919, “Waubung”, “Cumberland”, “Plough-Boy”
Postcard showing Prince Arthur’s Landing from sketch by William Armstrong
And various other images.
Propeller “Rescue.” Photographic print (approximately 1922) of a painting depicting the ship in Thunder Bay in 1859. Considerable detail about the ship indicated on the back.
Photographs and documents, generally collected because they would be of interest regarding the history of Port Arthur and Fort William. Includes rail and CPR, ships, fishing, and social and sporting groups.
Some photographs taken by Langworthy or reflecting his activities; others have been collected representing various historical interests.
Photographs of Silver Islet Mine, and the Silver Islet community. Organized into two folders, the first of small photographs and the second of large photographs.
Listing of Finnish materials available from Lakehead University Library (1975) and notes regarding miscellaneous historical information (1870's-1914) ; Fort William Assessment Rolls (1906-1912) ; Emigration Map for 1905 ; Immigration statistics (1900-1973) ; Miscellaneous information from the Henderson's Directory ; Information regarding Intola's commemorative sign ; Items donated by Mrs. Mary MacDonald including Land Deed (1903), Port Arthur Board of Education Election Results (1933, 1934), E. Seppala's advertising poster List of Finnish workers in Northwestern Ontario ; Correspondence regarding Finland's 50th Anniversary of Independence ; Copy of City of Port Arthur Building Permit (1914). 1870's -1975.
This collection consists of data on over 12,000 probated decedents in Ontario and Manitoba for 1872 to 1927. The historical probate wealth data was collected for four regional areas: Wentworth County, Ontario (1872-1927), Thunder Bay District, Ontario (1885-1927), Ontario (1892, 1902) and Manitoba (1873-1927). The data is in the form of hard copy survey sheets (paper records) and compiled spreadsheets (electronic records.)
A full description of the project and data can be read here: https://libguides.lakeheadu.ca/ld.php?content_id=36498994
Photographs and documents from the Silver Islet Mine and Silver Islet Store, including ledgers and a chart.
A rich deposit of silver was discovered on Silver Islet in 1868. A small island at the tip of the Sibley Peninsula, the mine was built deep below the waterline, and relied on breakwaters and pumps. Silver Islet was mined until 1884, when pumps failed, and the mine was flooded. The small community built on shore to support the mine is still inhabited.
Teepee with people gathered in front. Caption is: “Site of Bank of Montreal in 1870 - Foot of Lorne Street”
Records of baptisms, marriages and burials for 1870's-90's for St. John's Anglican Church, Pearl St., Thunder Bay.
Probate records and data for Wentworth County.
Box 2: 1872-1902
Box 3: 1907-1917
Box 4: 1922-1927
Letters, minutes, reports, and other documents regarding schools at the Lakehead: early Port Arthur, Fort William, and the region.
Minutes and newspaper reports. Concerning schools in the Lakehead, from 1873 to 1910.
The collection consists of legal files and documents, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and drawings from the legal firm Wink & Cameron (Port Arthur). The collection consists of the following series:
- Legal Documents
- Drawings