Showing 102 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

Marshall Dean family fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1868 - 2000

Marshall Blanchard Dean was an early physician in Fort William; his son Marshall Macdougall Dean had a career with the Canadian Coast Guard and a lifelong interest in history and genealogy. Collection includes correspondence, photographs, and research materials.

Finnish Building Company fonds

  • Fonds

The Finnish Building Company was formed in 1909 and raised funds for the construction of the Finnish Labour Temple (Big Finn Hall) at 314 Bay Street.

Dr. Douglas Thom fonds

  • Fonds

Correspondence, diaries, and reports related to the philosophical and social theories of Dr. Douglas J. Thom, professor emeritus of education at Lakehead University.

Cairine Budner fonds

  • Fonds

Records were created, held, or gathered by Cairine Budner over the course of her association with the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society, and other local heritage organizations and sports organizations.

The fonds includes

  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Finnish Canadian Historical Society
  • Records of the operations of the Thunder Bay Historical Society, Thunder Bay Art Gallery (National Exhibition Centre), Northwestern Ontario Sports Hall of Fame
  • Oral history interviews created with the TBFCHS and Multicultural History Society of Ontario
  • Historical photographs and documents gathered from the community, including sports photographs, records of the Finnish Building Company, and minutes of the Nahjus Athletic Club

Silver Islet Collection

  • Collection
  • 1870 - 1910

Photographs and documents from the Silver Islet Mine and Silver Islet Store, including ledgers and a chart.

A rich deposit of silver was discovered on Silver Islet in 1868. A small island at the tip of the Sibley Peninsula, the mine was built deep below the waterline, and relied on breakwaters and pumps. Silver Islet was mined until 1884, when pumps failed, and the mine was flooded. The small community built on shore to support the mine is still inhabited.

J P Bertrand Collection

  • Collection
  • 1878 - 1957

Consists of photographs of particularly mining development in Northwestern Ontario in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, as well as the waterfront and shipping, local scenery, and notable figures. Also includes some correspondence; railway construction plans.

Lloyd Dennis fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1965 - 1969

Lloyd Arthur Dennis (1923-2012) served as Co-Chair for the Provincial Committee on Aims and Objectives of Education in the Schools of Ontario (1965-1968) and was the co-author of the report “Living and Learning," commonly referred to as the Hall-Dennis Report. The fonds consists largely of records related to the Committee; the research, development, and writing of the Report; and responses after the Report's publication.

The records include:

  • Committee documents and hearings
  • Committee correspondence
  • Research & reference documents
  • Preparing the Report
  • Responses to the Report

Dennis was born in 1923 in Aspdin, ON. He served in the Canadian Armed Forces 1942-1946, and earned a B.A. and B.Ed. from the University of Toronto. He began teaching elementary school in 1948, and worked as Principal at several schools from 1957-1965.

Dennis joined the Provincial Committee on Aims and Objectives of Education in the Province of Ontario first as Secretary and Research Director, and became Co-Chair with Justice Emmett Hall in 1967. After the Report's publication in 1968, he was responsible for public interpretation, and gave many speeches and presentations across the province.

Forestry Booklets

  • Collection
  • 1945 - 1946

Two instructional booklets written by A. Koroleff:
"Forest Conservation: Practical Pointers to Woods Workers," published by the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association, 1945
"Practical Woodlot Management: How To Use The Forest Soundly and Profitably," published by the Canadian Forestry Association, 1946

Department of Women's Studies fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1988 - 2007

These records relate to the establishment and first years of operation of the Women's Studies program at Lakehead University. After a proposal in 1988, the first classes ran in the 1990-1991 academic year. The program developed quickly, with more courses added and cross-listed, and Women's Studies was granted status as a Department in 2002.

The records, most of which date 1990-1996, include minutes of the Women's Studies Advisory Committee, and correspondence about the program and its courses. Some files also relate to fundraising, and local events and issues.

Results 61 to 70 of 102