Showing 102 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions
Print preview View:

Silver Islet Collection

  • Collection
  • 1870 - 1910

Photographs and documents from the Silver Islet Mine and Silver Islet Store, including ledgers and a chart.

A rich deposit of silver was discovered on Silver Islet in 1868. A small island at the tip of the Sibley Peninsula, the mine was built deep below the waterline, and relied on breakwaters and pumps. Silver Islet was mined until 1884, when pumps failed, and the mine was flooded. The small community built on shore to support the mine is still inhabited.

Silver Islet Cemetery Documents

  • Collection
  • 1982, 2009

Two documents containing transcriptions and images of the Silver Islet Cemetery:
"Silver Islet Cemetery," Ontario Genealogical Society, 1982
"Silver Islet Cemetery," 2007.

Ship-Shore News

  • Collection
  • 1965 - 1969

A publication of Upper Lakes Shipping Ltd. News articles cover shipping on the St. Lawrence Seaway and internationally, and related topics such as shipbuilding and the grain trade.

This small collection is an incomplete set of issues between 1965-1969.

School of Library Technology fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1966 - 2000

The School of Library Technology at Lakehead University operated from 1966 until 2002, administratively part of the Faculty of University Schools. It was one of only two university-based Library Technology programs in Canada.

Students enrolled in either a 2-year diploma program, or a post-graduate diploma program that could often be completed within 1 year. In the late 1980s, amid concerns that non-degree programs might no longer be funded by the Ontario government, there was a proposal to create a 3-year Bachelor of Arts in Library and Information Studies.

The records consist of:

School Administration: Includes reports, plans and proposals, newsletters, and reference material spanning the year of the School's operation.

Student Experience: Includes yearbooks, photographs, and scrapbooks of students and graduates of the program.

Ruth Tye McKenzie fonds

  • Fonds
  • 1937 - 2011

The records document Ruth Tye McKenzie’s life and career as an exhibiting artist. They also reflect her career in business as owner of the Painted Turtle Art Shop.

Ruth Tye Mackenzie was born October 6, 1929, in Edmonton, the youngest of 3 children. She attended the Ontario College of Art, and graduated in 1952. She lived in Dundas, ON, for some time, exhibiting in Hamilton, St. Catherines, and other southern Ontario locations. 

In 1976 she moved to Thunder Bay with her family, and has become a key part of Thunder Bay's artistic community. She opened the Painted Turtle Art Shop in 1983, and ran it for 30 years until selling to new owners in 2003. Her work has been exhibited in solo and group exhibitions across the province. 

Robert Bennett fonds

  • Fonds
  • 2009 - 2016

Records relate to the creation and development of the Orillia Campus.

Rev. Toivo Pajala fonds

  • Fonds

Records of Rev Toivo Pajala, minister of Saalem Pentecostal Church.

Raija Warkentin fonds

  • Fonds

Records of an oral history project conducted with people who travelled to Soviet Karelia. Includes approved and unapproved transcripts, audio cassette recordings, agreements with researchers, and related documentation.

Many of the documents include information that interviewees wish to be kept private. Access will be restricted, except for approved transcripts, and when appropriate measures or agremeents are in place.

R. J. Flatt collection

  • Collection
  • 1874 - 1936

The collection consists of legal files and documents, correspondence, newspaper clippings, and drawings from the legal firm Wink & Cameron (Port Arthur). The collection consists of the following series:

  1. Legal Documents
  2. Drawings
Results 11 to 20 of 102